quarta-feira, 27 de outubro de 2004

As palavras de Durão


Foi este o discurso de Durão Barroso esta manhã:

"Mr President, Honorable members, I have asked to take the floor at this point because I think it is important that I share with you my analysis of the present situation.
"I have listened very attentively to yesterday’s debate. I have had extensive contacts with the group leaders and I have also spoken with the President of the European Council.
"I have come to the conclusion that if a vote is taken today, the outcome will not be positive for European Institutions or for the European project.
"In these circumstances, I have decided not to submit a new commission for your approval today.
"I need more time to look at this issue and to consult with the European Council further so that we can have strong support for the new Commission, once finally approved.
"These last days have demonstrated that the European Union is an intensely political construction and that this Parliament, elected by popular vote across all our member states, has a vital role to play in the governance of Europe.
"I was honored to have received your support as president elect in July. I committed myself then to work actively with you in the European interest. I renew that commitment today.
"We will not always agree, Mr President, on all issues, but I think we can agree on our common commitment to reinforce the democratic nature of European integration, and I would hope that we can arrive at an outcome in the next few weeks which will permit us to take forward work in the European Union in this spirit."

[in Times]